Popular cigarette ad: "every inch a lady"
and "high performance ultra light cigarette"
MorningCigarette.com

Winston Cigarettes

Winston Cigarettes Select Lights


Cigs and Tobacco History

Winston: Brand History


Winston Lights

1977
With the introduction of Winston Light 100's (13 mg. tar) in March 1977, the tar level in Winston Lights Kingsize was reduced to 12 mg. from 14 mg. In 1977, Winston Lights' sales surpassed Marlboro Lights by 3.17 billion units. Winston Kingsize sales increased 45% to 9.35 billion units, 100's sales totaled 2.67 billion units. Total Winston Lights' sales in 1977 were 12.02 billion units, an increase of 87%.
Hi-fi sales grew 54% to 132.55 billion units in 1977 and advertising expenditures increased 65% to $257.3 million. Hi-fi SOM was 22% and SOV, 52%. Winston Lights had a 9.07% SOM in the hi-fi market segment and a 1.8% SOM in the total market. Marlboro Lights' SOM in the hi-fi segment was 6.7%, in the total market 1.5%. Total Winston sales declined 8.2% to 36.67 billion units, SOM dropped to 14.36%.
Winston Lights' advertising expenditures rose 139% to $20.3 million, over half of total Winston advertising expenditures in 1977. Magazines were allocated $8 million, ROP $4.6 million, supplements, $4 million and OOH, $3.6 million.
Winston Lights' SOV in the hi-fi market segment was 7.0%. Lights' CPM rose 28% to $1.69. Total Winston expenditures increased 29% to $31.1 million, CPM was $.46.
Winston Lights' advertising continued using the previously established format emphasizing low tar and taste.

1978
Winston Lights' advertising campaign changed in 1978. New headlines invited smokers to "Taste Winston Lights". The tag line followed with "The low tar cigarette that's all Winston. All taste." The execution featured a couple dressed in white and at the bottom of the page a mortice featuring both styles of Winston Lights.
Winston Lights' advertising expenditures decreased 21% to $16 million in 1978 including; $7.7 million to magazines, $3.4 million to supplements, $2.8 million to OOH and $2.1 million to newspapers. Winston Lights' CPM dropped to $.95. Winston Lights' SOV in the hi-fi market segment was 4.8% in 1978 compared to Marlboro Lights' 7.1% SOV. Total Winston expenditures dropped 13% to $34.9 million, CPM decreased to $.41.
Winston Lights' sales continued to surpass Marlboro Lights although total Winston sales (34. G billion units) were 16.41 billion units lower than Marlboro (101.01 billion units). Winston Lights' sales totaled 16.85 billion units in 1978, an increase of 40%. Kingsize sales increased 24% to 11.6 billion units and 100's sales grew 96.6% to 5.25 billion units. Winston Lights' SOM was 2.78% compared to Marlboro Lights 2.04% SOM.


Like and Popular

Cigarettes Brand

Bond Street

Camel

Chesterfield

Davidoff

Glamour

Kent

L&M (L and M)

LD Liggett-Ducat

Lucky Strike

Marlboro

More

Muratti

Pall Mall

Parliament

Salem

Sobranie

Virginia Slims

Winston

555

All Natural Native

Benson & Hedges

Black Devil

Business Club

Capri

Captain Black Little Cigars

Doral

Dreams

Du Maurier

Dunhill

Embassy

Gauloises

Gitanes

Herbal cigarettes

Honeyrose

John Player

Kool

Lark

Longbeach

Mild Seven

Nat Sherman

Natural American Spirit

Newport

Peter Jackson

Peter Stuyvesant

Player's

Players

Rothmans

Seneca

Silk Cut

The Companies | British American Tobacco

The Companies | Philip Morris

The Companies | Rothmans

Viceroy

Vogue

West

World cigarette market

World | Lights Cigarettes

Black Devil, Camel, Dreams, John Player, Marlboro and Nat Sherman is popular in most countries of the world! Captain Black little cigars
Black Devil cigarettes
Dreams cigarettes online
Peter Jackson cigarettes
John Player cigarettes
Nat Sherman cigarettes online
All Natural Native cigarettes

5