Newport Lights Competitive Brand Performance Overview
Excerpts from Newport Lights Performance Review 1999
Basic, GPC, & Doral Menthol Lights
• The three major Discount Menthol Lights brands combined have the highest share in the Lights segment with 2.07 SOM and 2.39 SOM including Ultras.
• Are currently experiencing a decline with combined share down -.24 points in Feb '99 vs. YAG.
• With the inclusion of Ultras, share is down -.07 points in Feb '99 vs. YAG, but has increased +.10 since Nov "98.
• Maintains the second highest share within the segment with 1.46 SOM and 1.97 SOM including Ultras.
• The introduction of the new product, package design and ad campaign does not seem to be helping the brand without Ultras with share declines of -.08 share points in Feb '99 vs. YAG.
• Ultras are not contributing to Salem Lights share growth. Total share for Salem Lights and Ultras combined is down -.11 share points in Feb '99 vs. YAG.
Marlboro Menthol Lights
• Currently has the third highest share in the Lights segment with 1.11 SOM and 1.63 SOM including Ultras.
• The brand has been experiencing steady growth throughout '98. In Jan '99 the brand's share experienced a significant increase up +.24 points to 1.34 due to aggressive promotions, but in Feb '99 dropped back to 1.11.
• The introduction of Ultras has contributed significantly to the brand's retail shipments in Jan '99. From the introduction of Ultras in Jan '99 in combination with aggressive promotional activity, the total combined share for Lights and Ultras has increased dramatically up +.52 points from 1.11 to 1.63, a 47% increase.
• Overall the brand's share seems to not be affected by the price increase in Nov '98due to aggressive promotional support.
• Currently has the fourth highest share in the Lights segment with .86 SOM and .93 SOM including Ultras.
• The introduction of Kool Naturals gave the brand a boost in share +.25 points in Oct '98. Share declined after the initial introduction down -.14 points, but has remained fairly steady through Feb '99.
• The brand's total share (including Ultras) has gained +0.06 due to the Naturals introduction.
• Ultras has contributed about a .10 share points to total share.
• Currently has the fifth highest share in the Lights segment with .74 SOM.
• Newport's share grew 9.5% from January 1998 - October 1998, but since then has declined and flattened due to new product entries and competitive promotion activity.